TOPIC 4: HUMAN RESOURCES
Processes of Human Resource Management
The terms listed above refer to the human resources life cycle (Chron). Much of this was covered in the preliminary course so the tasks are a little different for this section.
- Develop a mnemonic device to remember the four stages of the HR Process (life cycle).
- Select activities from the options under the headings below, ensuring you have at least one for each process.
- Distinguish between voluntary and involuntary termination, giving examples of each.
- Write an extended response: Explain the role played by the human resource function in the success of a business. Describe the stages of the human resources cycle. Outline the rights and responsibilities that should be taken into account
- Create a magazine advertisement for attracting someone to work as a mining manager in a coal mine in Queensland.
- Draw a flow chart of the entire recruitment and selection process.
- Video a scripted interview between a principal of a school and a potential primary teacher.
- Discuss: Training should be an on-going process for all employees at every level in an organisation.
- Create a performance appraisal form that a restaurant manager may use for self assessment.
- Design a training program for employees phone techniques when talking with members of the public.
- Design the ideal remuneration package for a CEO to the value of $1,000,000.
- Imagine you are an adviser to a company. Provide a list of 15 recommendations to retain and motivate staff.
- If an employee is found to be excessively using social media at work what should be the reaction of his/her manager.
- Write a list of interview questions to ask someone who specialises in advising businesses how to make a large number of employees redundant.
- If you have seen the movie Up in the Air (starring George Clooney) discuss the methods used for firing employees. A couple of clips are provided below.
- Discuss what you would do if you were unfairly dismissed from your dream job.