A geographical issue close to the heart of many Australians is the erosion of our beaches. This topic will cover the following areas:
- the nature of coastal issues
- how coastal issues impact the environment and its people
- how individual, groups and governments respond to the issues
- using geographic skills (fieldwork) as part of a research action plan
- presenting findings of research and proposing actions to promote sustainability, social justice and equity
Coastal Erosion Fact Sheet from BOM
More fact sheets are provided by Griffith University about caring for the Gold Coast beaches.
Access the Coastal Management Glossary (GoogleDoc). Provide a picture and a definition for the terms provided, ensuring they are relevant for coastal management and are referenced.
For some examples of Australian beaches being impacted by erosion see the following articles and videos:
Coastal Management Plans
- Byron Shire Coastal Management
- Draft Gold Coast Ocean Beaches Strategy
- Warringah Council Coastal Management
Other Useful Websites
- Another teacher's Coastal Management Website which seems to be based in the Sutherland Shire.